Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Little Mexico

Many moons ago I was fortunate enough to spend seven weeks in Mexico; working, school, playing and of course eating. I had some of the best Mexican food, all prepared daily by the live in house keeper. It was from her cooking that I now judge the authenticity of Mexican food and if a restaurant here in the states can pass my three-rule test then I will return and tell everyone.
The three things are:

1. Chunky Guacamole
2. Refried Beans
3. Salsa.

Little Mexico did not meet my expectations on the Guacamole, it was only sufficient. There was a slight trace of avocado in what they call a Guacamole Salad, with tiny little pieces of this delicious fruit. However, it was superior to other places in Richmond where the avocado is bright green and almost a puree. I did eat most of it, so bravo to Little Mexico for placing high on my list.

I cannot count how many times I have been served refried beans that are soupy. Yes, soupy! They are almost impossible to eat with a fork; you need corn chips to pick them up. The beans are more like a bean dip. YUK! Well not at Little Mexico. I could actually see that these beans were made from pinto beans . They had a nice texture and had flavor. If I wasn't stuffed with my Chicken Quesadilla I could have finished the beans and believe me I tired. By the way, the quesadilla had lots of chicken in it, which I was very surprised. PASS.

Who likes Salsa flavored Water? Hmm? Anyone? Well that is what 9 out of 10 restaurants serve with the chips. Why? Do they think they are doing us a favor? It is red, it is served in a little carafe, but if you pour to quickly it rushes out like water. Well folks rest assured, Little Mexico actually has pieces of onion in it, and yes it is true onion does exist in salsa. I am not saying this salsa is extra chunky, but at least there is enough consistency on your chip. PASS.

I applaud Little Mexico. It is a nice addition to the fan; my only complaint is that as I was consuming all the food the Gold's Gym Sign across the street was giving me the evil eye. Oh well, next time I will face Cary Street, problem solved. Gracias.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.