Monday, December 3, 2007

Millie's Diner

I have heard from many people that Millie's is a great place for dinner. Try the fish its fresh and delicious I was told. The prices are a little high for most grad students, but if the opportunity presents itself then GO!

On Sunday they open at 5:30, myself and two others were waiting at 5:25. The interior is very relaxed, old wooden booths and a somewhat open grill faces you at the entrance. I have never been one to be overly impressed with any restaurants decor, I am here to eat not look at a nice table. The food? My rockfish, cabbage and coconut soup had a Thai influence. It was delicious and extremely flavorful, just what I needed since it was raining and slightly chilly. My entree? Oh my entree. I did not go the fish route, I went the duck route. Duck served with Foie Gras Mac and Cheese and Grilled Asparagus. The spears of asparagus were small, I prefer the larger spears. Words cannot describe how succulent the duck tasted, it remined me of beef which was odd because I had not eaten red meat in eight years. The mac and cheese was some of the best I tasted.

My company had the Pork Shank which fell off the bone and was tasty, my other friend had the lamb which he said was great. The lamb came with cauliflower risotto which tasted like garlic risotto and was too mushy for my palate.

I would return, but not for their bread pudding (skip it). I would try the fish. Does anyone want to take me there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Food Man
As the chef who cooked your Duck and Foie mac and cheese that Sunday evening, I definitely appreciate your comments, I am glad that your overall experience was pleasant. As a part of the Millie's family, we always strive to get better and we do appreciate your very tasteful criticism. Sorry you didn't enjoy your bread pudding(was it the white chocolate-pecan-? bread pudding that night?) We can only hope to continue to grow as chefs and we can't unless people let us know our faults(everyone has them). I look foward to seeing you again at Millie's and hope we can please your palette again.

The Food Man said...

Chef,
Allow me to elaborate a little. I prefer bread pudding to be very moist with a hint of added fruit. The bread pudding I was served had more fruit than actual bread. Although I love fruit, I still prefer less in my pudding. In my opinion the fruit removed moisture causing it to be slightly dry. I still would return to eat anything you make.