Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sauce


I have not been excited to visit a restaurant in a while like I was about Sauce in Hayes Valley. On the radio they raved at how delicious the Mac and cheese is and they use homemade pasta. Well, I am not one to turn down Mac and cheese let alone homemade pasta. This dish sounded interesting as it was served with asparagus and chicken. Well for $19 dollars I was hoping for the best.

My first bite.... hmm is there cheese in this? Second bite.... is this American cheese? Third bite...wow this sucks! How can one screw up Mac and cheese. Honestly, I would have been satisfied with Annie's Box Mac and Cheese.

My conclusion is that San Francisco has concentrated on healthy food or California cuisine for so long, that no one here can make food that is flavorful and rich. I suppose I will go back to my grandmother's recipe for Mac and cheese made with sharp cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs.

Oh and by the way their signature dessert of PB&J, well I could taste the jelly, but it was as though the peanut butter was just blown onto the plate because I could barely taste it. I would not return to Sauce.

No comments: